Not to be confused with the separate, standalone YouTube service, YouTube TV is a premium
channel that offers live TV programming from over 70 TV channels. It includes local feeds from all major networks, plus ESPN, CNN, Disney Channel, and more.
YouTube TV also includes a DVR-like recording feature that allows you to store an unlimited amount of live TV shows (up to 9 months) to watch anytime.
The service costs $49.99 per month and you can watch up to six accounts at a time. You can also add more premium cable channels, like Starz and Showtime, for an additional fee.
For more information on
see our article “What is YouTube TV?” : everything you need to know about YouTube’s subscription streaming service.”
To watch YouTube TV on Roku, all you need to do is install the channel.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Roku Ultra (from $99.99 at Best Buy)
How to Add YouTube TV to Roku
You can watch YouTube TV on most Roku players. Here’s how to start.
1. Using your Roku remote, press the Home button.
2. Select “Streaming Channels” from the list on the left side of the screen, then select “Search for Channels”.
3. Search for “YouTube TV”. When it appears in the search results, select “Add channel”. Remember that YouTube TV is a separate channel from YouTube.
4. Once the channel is installed, select “OK”.
5. Press the Home button again.
6. Find “YouTube TV” and select it to open.
7. If you haven’t yet subscribed to YouTube TV, you can follow the instructions to sign up using your Roku player and a web browser.
Which Roku players are compatible with YouTube TV
Unfortunately, a number of older Roku players cannot play the YouTube TV channel.
Here is a list of all models fully compatible with YouTube TV:
- All Roku TVs
- Roku Ultra
- Roku Streaming Stick+ and Roku Streaming Stick (3800x and 3600x)
- Roku Express/Express+ (3910x, 3900x, 3710x and 3700x)
- Roku Premiere+
- Roku Premiere
- Roku 4, Roku 3 (4200x and 4230x) and Roku 2 (4210x)
To find the model number of your Roku player:
1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
2. Select “Settings” from the left menu.
3. Select “System”.
4. Select “About”. You should see your model number.
Cross-check your Roku model against the list above to see if it’s compatible.